Bicycle theft is the criminal act of stealing or attempting to steal a bicycle.
Learn how to avoid becoming a victim of such crime.
how IT happens
When the thief:
- Cuts the bicycle lock.
- Removes some bicycle parts.
when IT can happen
When bicycle is:
- Left unlocked and unattended;
- Incorrectly secured (i.e. secured to movable structure or removable bicycle components);
- Parked at a secluded area, low security area or poorly-lit area during the hours of darkness;
A bicycle theft can also happen:
- When victims are complacent (i.e. assuming no need to secure the bicycle as they will only be away for awhile);
- When low quality bicycle locks are used.
crime prevention tips
AT PUBLIC PLACES / VOID DECKS
« Park your bicycle in well-lit areas. Choose areas with high human traffic, preferably with CCTV monitoring.
« Secure bicycle to a permanent structure such as a bicycle rack.
« Park bicycle at a designated bicycle bay and secure all removal components with good quality locks (i.e. U-lock).
« Keep your bicycle inside your home when not using it.
« Make unique permanent identification marks such as engravings on the body of your bicycle.
« Explore on reliable bicycle security devices or systems that are available in the market.
Call Police for assistance if you are a witness or if you are victim of such crimes. Do it from a safe distance and/ or location.
Stay calm and observe the suspect's appearance, attire, height, or any distinctive physical features; as well as the suspect's location or the direction the suspect went.
Read Singapore Police News on >>
LIKE THIS PAGE?
LIKE OUR WEBSITE?
FACEBOOK LIKE US (: