theft from vehicle
Theft from vehicle is the criminal act of stealing or attempting to steal (valuable) items from a motor vehicle.
This is a preventable crime. Learn how to avoid becoming a victim of such crime.
how IT happens
When the thief gains entry into the vehicle by:
- Tampering with:
--> Smashing the windows or windscreen; or
- Use of:
--> An ignition key of another vehicle;
--> Some form of tools to force open vehicle doors; or
--> A tech device that unlocks a vehicle (i.e. electronic car theft)
- The thief can also gain 'easy' entry when the car owner (unintentionally or intentionally) leaves the vehicle unlocked.
when IT can happen
When a vehicle is:
- Exposing valuable items (i.e. laptops, cash cards, handbags) not stored away from view, and attracting unwanted attention;
- Left unsecured and unattended;
- Parked at a secluded area, low security area or poorly-lit area during the hours of darkness.
crime prevention tips
« Park your vehicle in well-lit areas;
« Secure all the windows and doors properly. Remove key from the ignition, even if leaving vehicle for a short while;
« Avoid leaving any valuable items on vehicle seats or in the view of any passers-by;
« Scan the vicinity for suspicious characters before leaving vehicle;
« If you see any suspicious characters, take note of their appearance, attire, height, or any other distinctive physical features and call the Police for assistance. Do not confront them.
- an anti-theft alarm system and an in-vehicle camera in your vehicle; and/or
- a vehicle immobiliser system (for vehicle security).
The following devices are recommended to enhance the security of your vehicle to deter motor vehicle theft:
« For motor vehicles like car, van or truck, install additional locking devices like:
- Steering wheel lock
- Clutch lock
- Brake lock
- Gear lock
« For motorcycles. install:
- Front wheel safety lock
- Cable lock
- Disc or Sprocket lock
- Shackle lock
Call Police for assistance if you are a witness or if you are victim of such crimes. Do it from a safe distance and/ or location.
Stay calm and observe the suspect's appearance, attire, height, or any distinctive physical features; as well as the suspect's location or the direction the suspect went.
Read related Crime Prevention Tips >>
Motor Vehicle Theft
Read Singapore Police News on >>
Theft from Vehicle
LIKE THIS PAGE?
LIKE OUR WEBSITE?
FACEBOOK LIKE US (: