motor vehicle theft
Motor vehicle theft is the criminal act of stealing or attempting to steal a motor vehicle.
This is a preventable crime. Learn how to avoid becoming a victim of such crime.
how IT happens
When the thief:
- Uses an ignition key of another vehicle;
- Uses some form of tools to force open vehicle doors;
- Rides/ drives off a vehicle which had its key left in the ignition; or
- Uses a tech device that unlocks a vehicle (i.e. electronic car theft)
when IT can happen
When a vehicle is:
- Left unattended with the key still in the ignition;
- Parked at a secluded area, low security area or poorly-lit area during the hours of darkness.
crime prevention tips
« Park your vehicle in well-lit areas;
« Secure all the windows and doors of your vehicle. Remove key from the ignition, even if leaving vehicle for a short while;
« Engrave your vehicle registration number on the windscreen.
- an anti-theft alarm system and an in-vehicle camera in your vehicle; and/or
- a vehicle immobiliser system.
« For motor vehicles like car, van or truck, install additional locking devices like:
- Steering wheel lock
- Clutch lock
- Brake lock
- Gear lock
« For motorcycles. install:
- Front wheel safety lock
- Cable lock
- Disc or Sprocket lock
- Shackle lock
Call Police for assistance if you are a witness or if you are victim of such crimes. Do it from a safe distance and/ or location.
Stay calm and observe the suspect's appearance, attire, height, or any distinctive physical features; as well as the suspect's location or the direction the suspect went.
More Crime Prevention Tips on >>
Theft from Motor Vehicle
Read Singapore Police News on >>
Motor Vehicle Theft
LIKE THIS PAGE?
LIKE OUR WEBSITE?
FACEBOOK LIKE US (: